Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Categories Player Interview the Seventh: Devon Miller-Merza

Introduction

What can I say about Devon Miller-Merza? She and I have known each other for a long, long time. She's smart, witty, ridiculously pretty and an unrepentant geek of the best kind. We've spent many a night together drinking, lamenting our (at the time) confusing love lives, squeeing about books and films and being each other's mutual fan club when it was sorely needed. (Is it acceptable to verb the word squee? Oh screw it. It's already done.) She, too, has a blog which can be found here:

http://devonlynn.wordpress.com/

I love this lady, my sister of the pen.


Interview

Q. What’s the best/worst piece of writing advice you’ve ever received?

A.  The best: “Read promiscuously.” I learn from the best and the worst, what to do vs. what not to do.  The worst: “Read promiscuously.” I have this bad habit of getting more reading done than writing.

Q. Alliteration or onomatopoeia?

A. “Onomatopoeia” is more fun to say, but as far as a writing style choice, I tend to use alliteration a lot more often.

Q. Boxers or briefs?
A. Boxers all the way. Not only does my husband look better in them, but I can borrow them and wear them as shorts. Now, imagine me doing that with his briefs. Exactly.

Q. Writing wardrobe?
A. Whatever I’m wearing when the writing mood strikes is the writing wardrobe. It’s no secret that I can lose inspiration, momentum, and general want-to in the short time it takes me to change my clothes. It’s nice when muses bless me while I’m already wearing something comfy.

Q. What were you doing right before I started asking you a bunch of inane questions?
A. When I first read through these questions I was at my desk at the day job, so I was doing some relatively dry tech writing. Before I actually started answering these questions, I was flipping through channels when I remembered that I was going to answer said questions.

Q. What’s on your desk right now?
A. Monthly bills (paid), a journal, the latest George R. R. Martin tome, a jewelry cloth, a wine glass (empty), roasted deluxe mixed nuts, an electronic cigarette, a tube of BENGAY, and a manicure set. This is why my laptop is currently on my lap.

Q. Favorite food thing of the moment?
A. Bacon wrapped scallops. They’re just on my mind because I made them for dinner.

Q. Indoors or outdoors? Why?

A. That totally depends on the time of year and the weather of the day. Right now, I choose indoors because it’s cold as a harpy’s nipple out there and I’m a big baby. But give me a late spring thunderstorm, and I’ll be outdoors faster than you can say “nut-job” because I just really like thunderstorms.

Q. Argyle or plain white socks?
A. Argyle. They’re dressy and casual. You can’t be wearing the wrong socks if you’re wearing argyle.

Q. If you could collaborate on a project with anyone living, dead or imaginary, who would you pick?
A. The Brothers Grimm. I’d love to collaborate with them on a fairy tale retelling.

Q. Tell us about your current creative project/s.
A. I am still working on *Thirteen Morbid Tales* which is exactly what it sounds like. One book, thirteen tales, all morbid. I say “still” because the first story was written years ago. It’s been “done” about five times and I inevitably tear it apart and toss a story or two. Apparently "done" is not synonymous with "finished product".

And I make jewelry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say Something