Saturday, January 19, 2013

Categories Player Interview the Sixth: Maria Alice Ruth

Introducing Maria Alice Ruth

You know what "they" say, never trust a woman with three first names. Actually, "they" don't say that. No one says that. Probably because it is soooo not true. Maria Alice Ruth and I share a love of fanstastical, fabulous shoes that are likely to hurt your feet. She is a person whose presence in a room makes you feel immediately more comfortable and at peace. Perhaps this is because, like me, she is also a union suit enthusiast. (Which reminds me, I still have to get one - it is one of the wardrobe requirements for attending the Categories Party...)

Interview

Q. Knit or crochet?

A. I have dabbled in both, but am fairly useless at either one.

Q. Most frequent recurring dream?

A. I have crazy, vivid, incredibly detailed dream sagas, but they rarely reoccur. The other night I had a strange one where I was in a church, standing in front of the altar, looking up at the proscenium which was flanked by two enormous stone saints. The saint on the left was young and tonsured. He looked down when I looked up and there was this weird moment where I was the one looking down and he was the one looking up. There was another person behind me who was some kind of acolyte, I think, and I turned to him and said, "Who is that? St. Christopher? St. Francis? I'm afraid I'm not up on my saints."

Q. What was your favorite subject in grade school?

A. I was kick-ass in dictation. I could diagram the hell out of a sentence once upon a time. I also reigned supreme at the playground four-square game - you know, with that awesome red rubber bouncy ball.

Q. Spring or fall? Why?

A. Fall. There's something about the crisp, damp nights richly scented with decaying leaves that stirs me to go out on the prowl. I also adore the contrast of that deep periwinkle October sky against the gorgeous golden ochre foliage.

Q. What were you doing right before I started asking you a bunch of inane questions?

A. Indulging in my acquisitional obsession for sterling silver jewelry.

Q. Current profession?

A. I teach and support software for the faculty and staff of the College of Engineering at PSU. Translation: when your Word, PowerPoint, Excel or Access document (or your webpage or your Photoshop image) goes to hell, call me.

Q. Describe your favorite shoes for comfort and your favorite shoes for style.

A. I adore Dr. Scholl's Dance clogs, and have like 5 pairs. They're squishy and super comfortable, they slip on, and they have about a 2" platform. I can't really wear heels any longer since I screwed up my ankle in a bike accident, so my style choices are severely limited. If I could, I'd wear the craziest, tallest, most outrageous platform-spike lace-up thigh-high boots money can buy.

Q. Union suit, tiara or both?

A. Both, naturally! I'm definitely leaning toward getting a camouflage Union suit, though I'd much prefer snake print if I could find it. I'm thinking chicken feathers, rhinestones and fringe for the tiara... maybe throw in a couple of fake flowers or stuffed birds or something.

Q. Favorite Categories thing.

A. Yam salve. How could there be any other answer?

Q. Best/worst pick-up line you’ve ever heard?

A. I’ve got a hard drive a terabyte wide, and it’s all yours, Babe.
Would you like Gin and platonic, or would you prefer Scotch and sofa?
and this one -

























Q. Tell us about your current creative project/s.

A. I've been quilting for a couple of years now. I'm really into the feel of the fabric, the colorplay, and the geometrical possibilities. I'm getting pretty good at piecing but I can't seem to get the hang of the quilting part, so I don't have much in the way of large finished items. At present, I'm on a tangent and making the most (intentionally) ridiculous little quilted chicken potholders. They're really fun and easy, and every one of them makes me laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say Something