Thursday, January 17, 2013

Categories Player Interviews the Third and Fourth and Fifth

...Holy Crap! The responses are rolling in quickly. Hooray!

I am posting these in the order that the questions are answered. Today, I have the distinct pleasure of introducing Israel O'Brien, Mark Boltz and Joy Downey.

Introducing Izzy

Izzy is a fabulous hair-dresser and has been my roommate during some of the craziest years I have thus far experienced. Like Cher and Madonna, he only needs one name. When I think of Israel I think of crazy laughter, the smartest randomness, good books, and scented candles. In the before-times, when mix-tapes were still a thing, his contributions to this audiophile's library were legendary - Tim Curry as the Darkness kind of legendary.

You should let him cut your hairs.

The Interview

Q. How do you use awesome sauce?

A. Shake well before using on fish, meat, poultry, tofu, and vegetables; baked, broiled, grilled, or stir-fried. Refrigerate after opening.

Q. Winter or Summer? Why?

A. Winter because I love snow and the cold weeds out the weak.

Q. Favorite clothing item?

A. Blue jeans.

Q. What were you doing right before I started asking you a bunch of inane questions?

A.  Settling in after a cold walk home from work.

Q. Have you accepted the Yam Salva as your personal guru?

A. I follow the Lords of Kobol and do not wish to change to Yamism at this time.

Q. Favorite Categories thing?

A. There are so many good ones, but I love the one word ones most of all.

Q. Favorite beverage of the moment?

A. Zevia all natural soda! I can't get enough of stuff!

Q. What is your current favorite escapist pleasure?

A. I'm rewatching Battlestar Galactica on netflix.

Q. Is she sleeping, now?

A. She's sleeping now.

Q. Favorite source of protein?

A. Chicken.

Q. Tell us about your current creative project/s

A. I've started using my left hand.

Bonus Questions that the Interviewee has asked himself...

Q. How long have you known Reggie?
 
A. About 23 years.
Q. How did you meet Reggie?

 A. I think we first started talking at a 1990 Crestwood High School football game. Our high school football team sucked so bad the school wouldn't pay for lights so the games were saturday afternoon. Out of a lame sports event blossomed a friendship that would change the everything for no one.


Introducing Mark Boltz: High Priest of Yam Salve

As he is the High Priest of Yam Salve I *could* say that Mark Boltz requires no introduction but then I don't get to say anything about his awesomeness. Mark Boltz is one of the most gentlemanly people I have met, and yet he was also present, and subject, of some of the most embarrassing photos taken of anyone ever which involved a safe sex party at my apartment. He is wicked smart and funny and has a huge...

heart.

The Interview

Q. Boxers or briefs?

A. Like Dennis, I have to say the preference is definitely the combination of boxer-briefs. I have many boxers though, and some bikini briefs as well. When you sent this I was wearing boxers.

Q. Current profession?

A. Now employed as a senior network security engineer for the U.S. Department of Justice.

Q. Favorite color?

A. Royal blue. Not robin's egg, not cyan, not blue, not indigo. Royal.

Q. First thought when confronted with waking up.

A. Oh dear god why?! Followed by: where's my coffee?! Followed by: dear god, the cat just farted in the bed again!

Q. What was your reaction when 12/21/2012 came and went and the world was still here?

A. Science, FTW!

Q. Favorite Categories thing.

A. Both yam salve and awesomesauce, and the creativity they engender.

Q. What were you doing right before I started asking you a bunch of inane questions?

A. Drinking coffee, perusing Facebook, and contemplating what I was going to do that day, while dressed in my scrubs-pajamas. Because scrubs are the yam salve of pajamas.

Q: Are you an animal person?

A. Absolutely. Have our cat Mystery. Will eventually add at least one more cat and two dogs. Mystery is FIV+. We adore him, and all animals. I'm also often considered the animal whisperer. To put it in D&D terms, my roll on skills checks for "handle animal" would be 1d20+50.

Q. Favorite food thing of the moment?

A. Bacon. And soft-boiled eggs, because I love to live dangerously. That's how I roll...

Q.  What are your thoughts on the subject of yam salve?

A. I need to write a yam salve Bible. Or cookbook. I think we are blessed that someone looked at a yam, and thought, "Hey, I could make a salve with that!"

Q. Tell us about your current creative project/s.

A. I have several projects. One is genealogy research, which has yielded some interesting finds. I have more than 1,900 people in my tree now, going back to the early 1600s. Also working on refurbishing a 1954 Siemens Schatulle H42 radio. Writing a short story on my most horrific airline experience ever on my 1939 Royal typewriter. Practicing piano. Thinking of new uses for yam salve.


Introducing Joy Downey: the Vile Temptress and High Priestess of Yam Salve

When I think of Joy I jump for her, but before that, I drink for her because we spent many nights at the Darkhorse drinking alcoholic beverages, jumping around, trading snarky remarks about pretty much everything and of course, eating wings. Half of the sauce always somehow landed in my hair while Joy always remained suspiciously pristine considering the delightful filth that flew from her mouth. She knows all about the dark times before Yam Salve and has employed her skilled hands and tongue in the efforts of bringing the masses to the light. (Okay, maybe not masses, more like clusters from one corner of cyber-space.)

The Interview

Q. Boxers or briefs?

A. I prefer my boxers brief and my briefs boxed.

Q. Current profession?

A.  Non-Foods and data management at McLanahan's Market.

Q. Favorite color?

A. Living Colour.

Q. First thought when confronted with waking up.

A. Potty!

Q. What was your reaction when 12/21/2012 came and went and the world was still here?

A. Well, crap. Guess I have to go to work.

Q. Favorite Categories thing.

A. Yam Salve is a given, but I just love when it just goes off the rails into roflcopters.

Q. What were you doing right before I started asking you a bunch of inane questions?

A. I was drinking tea and eating ginger snaps while watching "Sweet Genius."

Q. Are you an animal person?

A. I'm certainly not a vegetable person.

Q. Favorite food thing of the moment?

A. Anything I can taste. I have a cold.

Q. What are your thoughts on the subject of yam salve?

A. Yam Salvation is a glorious path. But beware the genetically manipulated yam, for it is the televangelist.

Q. Tell us about your current creative project/s.

A. I have just been baking and being domestic lately. I need some artcation time.

 
 

 

 

 

      2 comments:

      1. So I am re-reading this blog and I need to clarify what a safe sex party is, exactly. (Mentioned for the Mark Boltz interview)It probably sounds a lot dirtier than it actually is. Basically, its an educational thing wherein folks learn/practice use of condoms etc. My internship at the time was at the AIDS Project and it was in the interests of learning to teach. Of course, being the wacky, zany kids we were/are we did things like make balloons and jewelery out of condoms which is what resulted in the embarrassing photos of which I speak. There were other tools put to decorative purposes, but I digress.

        ReplyDelete
      2. Update! Mark Boltz started a blog, too. Yay! http://tao-of-net.blogspot.com/

        ReplyDelete

      Say Something